|Sagebrush Ranch is a fun, hands-on place for children and their parents to play and learn. This gallery provides children with the opportunity to touch and interact with the exhibits and allows kids to be kids. Each activity is a learning opportunity and is themed around art and the West. Rodeo Joe, the Ranch Foreman, welcomes visitors of all ages to the Ranch but reminds visitors that Sagebrush Ranch is designed for children, but parents need to stay with their children at all times.The Stagecoach:
- Climb inside and take a trip out West in our 3/4-scale stagecoach. As the stagecoach rocks back and forth, children have a view of the passing desert landscape.
For a short video about Sagebrush Ranch, click here.
|Faces of the West:
- Learn Fun Facts about the many and varied people who explored and settled the West.
- Take a picture of you as one of the settlers or explorers.
The Artist’s Studio:
- Press the buttons on the checkerboard located on the front porch to hear cowboy songs, poetry and jokes.
- Play “I Spy”, weave on a real loom, draw a horse or buffalo, paint with water, experiment with color mixing and value or check out the effect that light has on sculpture.
- Play a game of checkers.
- Mount the horse and take pictures in front of a Western backdrop. For that authentic look, children can dress in the Western wear in the Bunkhouse before saddling-up.
- Find out how many “hands” tall you are compared to the horse.
- Dress in Western wear and use the mirrors to draw yourself as a Cowboy or Cowgirl.
- Play the Trail Drive Game, learn about the different horses that helped settle the West and match sounds of the West with artwork from the Museum’s collection.
|Tall Tales Barn:
- Watch vintage Western television programs.
- Put on your own puppet show with Rodeo Joe and his friends.
- Sit in one of the beanbags and read a book about the West and the people who live there.
- Learn the steps involved in creating a painting.
The Chuck Wagon:
- Be the Chuck Wagon cook at this replica of the Cowboy’s home away from home. The chuck wagon is outfitted with all the things necessary to cook up enough grub for the whole family.
The Puzzle Corral:
- Select a rodeo chute and enjoy a hands-on activity related to artwork in the Booth collection.
- Chute #1 – Recreate Native American bead-work.
- Chute #2 – Put together puzzles of two famous gunfighters-Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday.
- Chute #3 – Create your own painting by placing magnetic characters against a Western landscape.
- Chute #4 – Take apart three-dimensional puzzles and put them back together.
- Chute #5 – Create your own designs on the large clay pot using magnetic shapes.
|The Branding Station:
- Make a brand for your own ranch using pencils, paper and the wood blocks at the branding station.
- Use the small branding iron to brand the cow and hear the sound he makes.
Barrel Computer Stations:
- Use these interactive computer based art programs to learn about the elements of art like line, shape and color.
Thank you for visiting Sagebrush Ranch. Come back again!